Thursday, August 15, 2013

Random Running Thoughts ~ That Three Letter Word

RUN

When we say we RUN it means so many different things. 
It means we are working hard. 
It means sometimes we hate it, but we go right back to it. 
It means we are learning about ourselves in ways we never thought we would from exercise.
It means we are part of a community that is supportive and united.
It means we are putting our body and health on the front burner.

But, when we RUN it sometimes implies other things. I have often thought about saying that I JOG, instead of RUN, because jogging does not entail a whole segment of the culture that I don't relate with at all. There is A LOT out there about running; on social media, mainstream news, and even driving down the street you see more and more people running. Don't get me wrong, I love it! It makes me feel like I am part of something big, a movement of sorts.

However, not all runners are cookie cutter. I hope that when you read through this list, you will realize that you are your own runner AND to never give up because you don't fit in a mold. Likewise, please don't be offended if I disagree with something that makes you a runner. We are all different, that is my point.

What Makes Me A Unique Runner
  1. I don't like races/events. Yes, it is true, I almost feel ashamed to even type that because usually a runner loves races.  When I began running over three years ago I ran two 10Ks, a 5K and a half marathon. For me, all the hooplah distracted me from everything I love about running. I will probably run more, even a marathon sometime. Maybe I'll do an entire post on my feelings about events, who knows. 
  2. I don't like running with others, despite how social I am. This one may not be as controversial as #1 because many people like to run alone. The strange thing about this is that talking with friends is on my top three list of things I love so it is just strange I don't like doing it when I run.
  3. I am always in training. I know this seems like it contradicts  #1, but it is true. I use Personal Running Trainer and it always helps me to progress forward, challenge myself and be accountable. With no event in sight I am currently on week 10 of half marathon training. 
  4. I don't have my PR (personal record) or PB (personal best) memorized. 
  5. Similarly, I don't wear a Garmin or other type of tracking device. I have nothing against it at all, as a matter of fact I have wanted one since I began running, but have never taken the plunge. On Personal Running Trainer is does use a GPS and measures distance and pace, but I always tell myself it is not really accurate. It is complete denial on my part because I just love to run, I just don't like the pressure to perform.
  6. I am SLOW. Now many runners will say that they are slow, but I really mean it! A lot of it has to do with my ongoing sciatic pain. When it doesn't hurt I run at a much better pace, but that is rare nowadays.
That is just scratching the surface.
So when you are reading blogs, pins, fitness pages, articles, etc. please do not be discouraged if you run to your own beat. Do not get caught up in the running lingo, the "my best pace is..." and others telling you that real runners use/wear this. Getting caught up in all of that just leads to self doubt.
If you run, you are a RUNNER.
I do it because it makes me feel more empowered than anything else I've ever done. You do it for your reasons and maybe we will meet someday on the trail.

No comments: