Thursday, May 17, 2012

New Additions

During the last couple of weeks I have changed things up a bit. And, so far, I like the results. Here are some new "tools" I have found that have helped me reach my goals.

Pinterest
There is something about me that is always looking for the positive side of social media. I am constantly defending Facebook. For the last couple of months I have been "pinning" on Pinterest. Yes it can be a huge time sucker, but it has had a significant affect on me seeing results. How? I actually have made quite a few of the healthy recipes I've pinned. The work out tips are amazing to keep my sessions fresh. But, by far, the motivational quotes help me the most, especially when I want to give up. 
While running I sometimes think, "get comfortable with being uncomfortable". Or when I am laying in bed, dreading my twenty minute walk to the gym I think, "There will be a day when you can no longer run. Today is not that day."
Follow me on Pinterest here.

Smoothies
I have never been a smoothie fan. That is probably because I only associated smoothies with Jamba Juice, loaded with sugar I would just rather eat a candy bar. But, thanks to Pinterest, I was inspired to try out some smoothie recipes and pre-freeze all the ingredients in single serving bags. What a difference this has made not only to me, but my entire family!

I was intrigued about adding so many nutritional elements into one meal. Living in Beijing, we have access to a plethora of fresh fruits within steps from our apartment. 
This is what I have in my pre-made smoothie bags:
  • frozen spinach
  • strawberries
  • blueberries
  • non-fat Greek yogurt (frozen in ice cube trays)
  • pineapple
  • kiwi
  • bannana
When I get home from the gym I pull out a bag from the freezer. I add a tablespoon of flaxseed to the blender. I have a hard time finding coconut water close to my apartment, but I found this coconut juice (120 cal per can). I add that and blend it all up. Yum!


Yoga
For close to fifteen years I have had sciatic nerve issues. When I visited a doctor about five years ago about it he said, "I can do surgery or you can get in the best shape of your life". That has always been a sort of motivator for me. Except right now I am running four times a week, with cross-training the other two days, and the pain is getting worse. It feels so much better when I stretch well so I decided to add yoga into the mix.

It has been the perfect solution to so many things! You know that odd time in the middle of the day where you are waiting for the kids to come home from school, before the homework/dinner prep frenzy? I am always tempted to take a nap but I started doing yoga at that time. Also, I have an iPad that I never used. I loaded this app onto it, along with a really cool yoga playlist, and it has become my favorite part of the week! I don't do anything crazy hard as this is purely supplemental to my work outs and solely to stretch. I hope it will help my butt and right leg. If not, I still will feel more balanced right?

I would seriously love to hear about some tools that help you to be successful...please share in the comments:)

No comments: