Thursday, November 1, 2012

Chinese Medicine

I will be doing a more elaborate write up of my first time experience to a Chinese Doctor on my other blog. Here is an update in regards to my physical health.

I first starting having sciatic nerve issues when I was preggo fourteen years ago! I have finally learned that the nerve is called sciatic, while the diagnosis of issues with it is called sciatica. It was always very confusing to me.

Anyhow, about five years back I actually pursued getting it "fixed", resulting in an MRI. All I got out of that was the Doctor telling me to a) lose some weight b) exercise is key to avoiding symptoms and c) the only way to really fix it is through surgery (no thanks). So since then I have regularly exercised and the symptoms only became unbearable after sitting for more than an hour...hate movie theaters.

The reason I am telling you this is because my current back issue, on the left side this time, is all related. Apparently, the discs in my back are too close and rubbing together causing both issues on each side. The recent left side injury while working out happened because of this. How the Doctor got to this was very, very interesting and, as I said before, I will describe that and the treatment in more detail to come.

For now, though, here are my instructions from the Doctor
  • limit my amount of walking
  • try not to sit at all, lie down when possible
  • no exercise for at least three weeks!!!!
  • Never, ever, ever sleep on my stomach again (which is the hardest pill for me to swallow. It is the reason it is now 2:40am and I am awake. It is so uncomfortable to sleep on my back, but something I guess I will have to get used to.)
  • Do not get any more massages, they are making it worse. Boo hoo!


I guess this is what turning 40 is all about!
Do you have any chronic health issues? If so, how do you cope?

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Oh man! I don't like any of the Dr Suggestions...sounds awful. Maybe you need a trip back to the states for a second opinion!