Monday, August 5, 2013

Summer Weekly Challenge ~ #9

I know it is hard to accept that we are in week 9 of our Summer Challenge. Yes, that means summer is almost over. Some of you have gone back to work or are going back to work this week. Many of you are school supply shopping for your kiddos. Instead of dwelling on days gone by, let's focus on how far we've come and the greatness ahead this fall!

BUT WE ARE NOT DONE YET!


Last week you reflected and made your own goal. How did you do?

If I had to pinpoint one thing that has contributed to my success the most it would be limited my "white carbohydrate" intake. What in the world does that mean? I've talked about it a lot, only because it was the missing link in my chain to better health. My body holds on to every bit of starch it can. . . usually in my gut. How do I know this? Because the very second I stopped eating white bread, white rice, white pasta and white potatoes I began to lose weight and my stomach pooch began to dissipate. AND I MEAN THE VERY SECOND or so it felt like. 

Now, because I am all about full disclosure here, I admit that these foods are not too tough for me to omit from my diet. While I do enjoy sourdough bread (especially toasted with real butter) I am pretty okay with avoiding it all. However, complete omission is not practical nor is it healthy. . . so what do I do?

I make sure that I only eat whole grain carbohydrates and I try to limit those to breakfast and lunch in moderation. 
Why?

  • Associated with lower LDL and triglyceride levels, and therefore the risk of heart disease
  • Consumption is inversely related to hypertension
  • Shown to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and obesity
  • Helps improve bowel health and promotes the growth of healthy bacteria in the colon, which may reduce the risk of stomach and intestinal cancers.
  • Promotes healthy metabolism and a healthy nervous system
  • The antioxidants, phenols, lignans and saponins present in whole grains may prevent cancer

Here is a list of my favorites!

  • quinoa
  • steel cut oatmeal
  • brown rice
  • popcorn (air popped)
Be very, very careful, when shopping! Just because it says "Whole Grain" does not necessarily mean it is!  Check the label closely and if you see "milled", "enriched", "rice", "wheat germ", "unbleached", or "corn meal"there may be some tricky tactics going on there. And just because something says "wheat" does NOT mean it is whole grain. Visit the Whole Grains Council website for a lot of valuable information!

We love to hear from you! Share with us your favorite whole grains, recipes or products with whole grains!

Do you take this challenge this week? 
I do!

No comments: