Thursday, January 30, 2014

My Fitness Lesson on The Great Wall





They weren't kidding when they said, "I CLIMBED the Great Wall". The first time we went to "the wall" I was going to the gym and running 10 miles on the treadmill, about 3 times a week. I thought I was in pretty darn good shape. Then a group of us went to the wall and I missed the memo that it was climbing...I thought you "walk" on the wall. 

It was quite embarrassing because the group I was with knew how often I went to the gym and ran, but immediately when we started on the trek up, up and UP I knew I was going to struggle. Much of the wall was crumbling, the steps were over half the length of my legs and the were completely vertical. I was NOT LOVING it, to say the least.

What I realized that day was that physical fitness is not about ONE THING. I really think that most of regular society believes that running is the optimal physical fitness peak, when really it only measures PART of your physical fitness!

I am SO MUCH better shape now than I was back then, although I was running a lot farther then, per week. So, I was good at endurance. But what about the rest of the things that made climbing the wall so difficult? Many of my friends, who rarely went to the gym, weren't having as many issues as I was. It really made me think. 

Physical Fitness is SO MUCH MORE than endurance and cardio-vascular health. It is about agility, balance, strength and even more than that! Don't sell yourself short thinking you are "not good enough" because you are not a runner...or have a six pack...or anything else. Look at your strengths and weaknesses and work on COMPLETE physical fitness. 
Your body and your mind will thank you!

My family and I on the wall.

No comments: