Saturday, June 8, 2013

Summer Weekly Challenge ~ #2

I am so glad you are joining us! 
How did you do last week? How do you feel?
If you missed the challenge last week, check it out here
Be sure to read the "No Excuses" section for tips on how to stay motivated. 

We all know that diet and exercise go hand in hand for our overall health. Some people struggle with both, while others eat healthy but hate to work out. I, personally, love to exercise but I also love sweets. 
courtesy of Pinterest
For the last several months I have taken this to heart and seen great results. I am NOT on a diet nor do I deprive myself from things I love.  .  . like chocolate.

The key, for me, is focusing on what I am putting into my diet instead of what I am taking out. I do a lot of research about nutrients for my body and try to add as many components that I can. It is so much easier to eat healthy when you know how those foods are benefitting you, rather than a generic "...because it is healthy." I have found that when I load up on nutrient dense foods I eat less junk. When I eat less junk, I crave less junk.  When I crave less junk I see results!

This weeks challenge is all about adding nutrients into your day. So many people say, "It is hard to get my servings of fruits and vegetables in everyday." I get it! I understand that it takes focus and planning. 
That is what this week is all about!

Week 2 Challenge
  • Continue to break a sweat and pump your heart for one hour, five days a week.
  • For AT LEAST five days a week have AT LEAST one serving of fruits and/or vegetables at EVERY meal. Fruits and veggies for snacking is above and beyond and you get "extra credit". ;)
Are you always wondering what exactly is a serving size?
Here ya go... Basically, eat a fist size of 
fruits and veggies at every meal, aim for five servings a day.

Every meal? Even breakfast? Yes Siree! 
You CAN do this! 
You say that you hate vegetables?
I say, TOO BAD!
I will be giving you tips and tricks ALL week long to help you. Think smoothies, homemade juices, snacks, and enhanced nutrients. Hit the grocery store, peruse the produce and stock up on the ones you love. 

Here is a tip for ya already!
I always, always, always keep tomatoes (preferably cherry), cucumber, carrots, onions, broccoli and bell peppers (preferably red and yellow) in my fridge. Why? Well, besides their nutrients, I do this because when I am cooking dinner it is SO easy to chop these up and add this to things I am cooking. My favorite way? Adding the sautèed veggies to cooked quinoa. (But you already knew that if you follow my Facebook page)

Here is a trick for ya...check out this throwback post about putting  a buffet of fresh veggies on the kitchen island and kitchen table. Keep it out all day and watch how many you (and the kids) eat as you walk by. It works!

Last thought. . . lunch can be tricky.
 How often do you take the time to prepare yourself a lunch? If you are like many, you squeeze something in between this and that. Below is an example of one of my favorite lunches. . . it is quick, easy, HEALTHY and filling.

Okay, I honestly think there is something wrong with my iPhone. Even when I try to get the pics focused they come out blurry. Maybe it is because I dropped it while on the elliptical this morning.
This lunch consists of:
Are you inspired for this week's challenge?
I hope so!
Eating healthy foods is the sure way to feel better and see healthy results!
You in?

We would love to hear about your favorite ways to incorporate fruits and veggies. Comment here or on Facebook.

No comments: